Saturday, March 19, 2011

I refuse to live my life in reverse

Have you ever had to drive a car in reverse for anything more than backing out of a parking space? 

Years ago I was on an ice and snow covered hill. My car was a rear wheel drive and just as I reached the top of the hill, my momentum had slowed to the point that it just couldn't make it over the hump. I ended up having to throw the car in reverse and back up all the way down the hill. It was difficult to keep it under control in reverse on ice. The car wanted to weave. It was difficult to see the bottom of the hill clearly. After a few attempts with the same result, I had to leave the car at the bottom of the hill and walk it. The climb was difficult but it was far less frightening than driving in reverse down the hill and I eventually made it home.

The last two weeks (give or take a few days) I've been stuck in reverse. I haven't tracked my food. I haven't worked out as planned. I've made poor choice after poor choice. Really, this is how I used to live my life, everyday.

I REFUSE TO LIVE MY LIFE IN REVERSE!!

So, here I go again, same words, different moment - I'm getting back on plan. I'm not sure what caused me to fall down this time. Spring break was last week and I had more time in the evenings. The week prior I had made a goal to visit the gym everyday since I would have more time - but somehow I just consumed the time with other things and never made it to the gym. The free time also allowed for more lax eating habits. It was like I was on vacation BUT I WASN'T ON VACATION!

I have no real excuse or reason as to why, other than, I consciously decided to make poor choices. There is no candy coating it. I did it, I own it and part of that ownership is saying, "STOP IT!"

What is done, is done. Tomorrow morning, it's back to my meetings, back to the scale. I'm facing the music -  facing the gain that will surely show - and moving on!

-------------------------------------


If you are on this same journey, know these types of blunders will happen. The important part is snapping out of it before it's too late!  If you have already reached your goal, please share some of the times you fell off the wagon. I know it happens to us all as we strive to make these changes in our lives but it surely helps to hear how others fell down and got right back up again!

3 comments:

  1. It is so easy to beat ourselves up when we have setbacks. I am extremely hard on myself. One thing that I always tell myself is that it doesn't matter. What is done can be undone.

    I have had weeks like this as well. Where I make bad choice after bad choice and know it but just don't care. But, that is the beauty of being human...each day is a new chance to start again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in a crappy mood all week. I had a great week LAST week and I very emotional weekend -all positive stuff - but there was one small negative and I allowed it to let me focus on negative energy all week and it I keep doing that i will be back in the food and gaining 20 pounds and more before I can blink. I know I do this to myself and I join you in shifting the vehicle that is my life back into forward motion - and I will even buy the first tank of gas!

    Hugs to you!
    ~Jane
    Keepingthepoundsoff.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, you are exactly right. It's a new day and for me, a new week! Yeah! *Pushes reset button*

    Jane, I'm sorry you have been in a funk. I've been there with you. This week will be a better one and I'm looking forward to maintaining "order" and moving forward. :)

    ReplyDelete