Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Heavy

I watched the first episode of A&E's series "Heavy" which is about morbidly obese individuals changing their lives and being followed for the first six months. My fear from the commercials is that it would be another "The Biggest Loser" type show, and most readers know my thoughts on that little nugget of television entertainment.  After watching the first show, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised! It is much more like "Intervention" than "The Biggest Loser."

This first show followed John and Jodi. Both are individuals I can certainly relate. John started the show well over 600lbs, Jodi at 367lbs. The first thing that jumped out at me is I was heavier than Jodi when I started my journey!

This show addresses the fact that battling and recovering from food addiction is much like drug addiction and it is refreshing to see that aspect exposed. It addresses many of the issues that are not addressed in the current pop culture diet craze. I appreciate that a television show is talking about these issues without degrading the individuals they are showing. Yes, there is some tough love provided by the trainers, but there wasn't anything belittling or degrading, which is one of the things that has bothered me about "The Biggest Loser." Also, in contrast, it is not about competition and I love that! Losing weight is not about losing more than another person on a similar journey. It's personal. To only reinforce how personal it is, there isn't a giant stage, huge weight displays - it's just a more intimate approach to telling the story of weight loss for the super obese. I love it!

I'm excited to watch this series. It's so uplifting to see these individuals fight to gain control over their lives. I see myself in some of them and that makes me feel good. I do think a personal trainer needs to be in the plan for the near future. I need someone to push me, teach me to do more than just walk. While walking is a fantastic exercise that I will continue to do, I need to start adding to my muscles, letting them burn calories for me and really take this weight loss to the next step. I think I'm ready.

Have you watched this series? What did you think?

3 comments:

  1. I am blogging after I watch Episode 2 today. Started watching it last night but needed to get to sleep. I liked that it ended with a PSA for Overeaters Anonymous. I thought that was an excellent PSA and the timing was great - assuming they use the PSA for every episode. You need to 'see' something 6 times before it really enters your mind (rule of advetising).

    Jane~
    keepingthepoundsoff.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't watched the show, but i might watch it now. Have you tried leslie sampson (or something like that) she does a 3mile walk. You can choose to do 1, 2, or 3 miles and they range from low to high impact walks. You should check them out. I love it! I also am into Zumba...it's super fun and it doesn't feel like a WORKout, it's actually really fun. Don't get me wrong it is work though...haha, but fun work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, unfortunately I watched it on demand and I missed the PSA. I'll have to set my DVR so I record the shows and I'll watch for it.

    Rob and Steph, I really recommend the show. Honestly, it's the first one I've seen that really addresses this issue as an addiction with a more "clinical" type approach vs. a lot of smoke and mirrors. As for the walk videos, I have the Weight Watchers Walk Kit DVD and I can't say it's one of my favorites. I find if I'm going to do a DVD I love the WW Belly, Butt and Thighs (came with a stability ball). The stretching feels sooooo good! I'll have to look for the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's as you are not the first that has said they are great! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete