Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Help Me I'm Trapped and I Have No Choices

Today has been a really difficult day with food choices.  For the next few days I'm in all day meetings at a convention center.  All meals are provided by the company, they are beautifully done and delicious; but TEMPTING!  LOL 

Breakfast was really the best meal of the day.  I was able to get a small portion of eggs, some fruit and one small hash brown.  Other than the hash brown, it wasn't an unhealthy breakfast.  I maintained healthy portions, I avoided the bacon, sausage, pancakes, bagels, full fat cream cheese, muffins, danishes, donuts and butter.  However, it was all downhill from there.

Today's lunch was themed like a southern barbecue; fried chicken, macaroni and cheese loaded with corn, bacon and ham, pulled beef brisket, biscuits, hard rolls, salad stuffed full of eggs, chicken, ham, bacon, blue cheese and full fat dressings, oh, and corn chowder.  Additionally there was an entire table set up with a variety of cakes, cheesecakes, cream pies and more. Can you say, "yum?"

Now, I tried to be good, however, out of the food offered, there simply weren't any low fat choices to be made.  I did my best with lunch.  I chose small portions, avoided the dessert table and drank plenty of water.  Then 3pm rolled around.  I was starving, obviously from small portions of the low fiber, high fat food choices at lunch.  I hear the doors open to the conference room and rolling in is a huge table of movie theater snacks - popcorn, big box candies, nachos and cheese.  Ugg - talk about tough!  I did my best but I did eat popcorn and some whoppers.  It was so good, I might add.

I have to look at today as just one of those days.  This isn't the end.  If the scale this week doesn't show a loss (and even if it shows a gain) all will be fine.  It's just one week.  It's just one weigh in.  I say it over and over again because I MUST believe it.

The next few days I will focus on portion control.  Tracking is difficult so I will have to estimate points as much as possible.  But, I will track it!  Since I know breakfast will be the better option, I will make healthy choices for that meal and hold some fruit aside for a morning snack before lunch.  I will do my best to get exercise in - even if it's non-traditional exercise.  Workouts aren't possible, but there is a lot of walking.  I also have my first 5k this Saturday, so hopefully that will help a little (if not for weigh in on this Sunday - the results may show next Sunday).

The point is, life is going to happen and sometimes choices are more difficult than when I only have to deal with my own little controlled bubble of healthy foods.  I have to flex and I have to have reasonable expectations.  Events like this happen very rarely and part of life is also enjoying it.  If I have a gain this week, at least I know it was a good time and worth it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment