Sunday, September 19, 2010

Confessions of a Weight Watcher - I'm NOT Dieting!

When doing Weight Watchers (WW) it is stressed that WW isn't a "diet" - it's a lifestyle change. While this is true,  and like Weight Watchers, I do differ on the use of the word "diet" as a verb, it is a noun, as anything we eat is a diet. Some people may choose to eat a high fat, low veggie diet. Some people may choose to eat a high fiber, low fat diet - (basically Weight Watchers). Some people may need to eat a regulated carbohydrate diet to control things like diabetes. All are diets - they just aren't all healthy diets or weight loss diets.  Perhaps the downfall really is when the word is used as a verb, rather than a noun.  "I'm dieting" is a temporary action.  "I eat a healthy diet" is permanent thing (or can be).


I keep saying it over and over again but I think while on this journey of change, one must force brutal honesty; otherwise, the weight will pile back on just as it did in the last ______ (fill in the blank) times it has been attempted. My honest moment is this - I have to be on a special diet the rest of my life. That, my friends, IS my lifestyle change. Just as diabetes is a disease that needs controlled, so is obesity. This is it.  I count points.  I plan my meals.  I purchase special foods.  Forever. Period.

It really isn't so bad though, in fact, it's fabulous!  Now, 15 weeks in, I find I crave healthy foods.  I enjoy grapes.  I like all white meat turkey hot dogs.  I love how fast and convenient it is to pull some salad out of the refrigerator, grill a lean protein, put it all the the table and be finished with dinner prep!  I think it's fantastic that because I've adopted a schedule of eating light meals and healthy snacks - I'm NEVER hungry!  My energy has gone through the roof.  I feel good.  I never get bored because options for eating quick, healthy meals are endless. I prefer thin, brown breads, over thick, white breads.  I take pride in taking only that thin slice of cake at a get-together, that I've already calculated to be four points.  I like taking my packed lunch to work with my daily snacks and I like it even better when I can tell a co-worker about a fantastic product I've found.

Yes, this lifestyle change works for me.  I like it, a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment