Monday, September 13, 2010

Blip Buster Weeks

What the heck is a "blip buster week?" Well, it's the term I use for the week following a small (or not so small) gain.

Above is my Weight Watchers tracking chart, a great visual of what has taken place over the last 14 weeks. Of course, my "goal weight" is my 10% weight loss and not my ultimate goal weight, but it is far easier to celebrate these major milestones rather than wait until I finally get to the 140lbs I'm shooting for.

Following each of the weeks that I had a blip - I had a blip buster week. These are weeks that I saw substantial loss and continued to trend downward after putting on a small gain. Now, perhaps this is because the gain woke me up from straying slightly off program. Maybe I didn't drink enough water for a few days and I began to retain water, maybe I had started eyeballing portions rather than getting the measuring spoons or food scale out, perhaps it was just luck of the draw and the mitochondria in my muscles didn't produce the same amount of ATP making my body metabolize slower and hold on to more glycogen, storing it as body fat (why yes, I am an A&P student); whatever the reason, those weeks can and should be used as a motivation. Life happens, man. We have to flex. We have to move forward. From here on, I refuse to get down if I see a blip. In fact, I plan to get excited, because you better believe the scale the following week is going to be unbelievable!

These little dots on the grid are mere dots. One dot, without those around it, is meaningless. Weight loss is movement, the dot, the single weigh in, is stagnant. Focus on the movement, focus on the many dots and look forward to your blip buster weeks!

So, for those on this same journey, walking these same roads; embrace your blips and look forward to the bust, as it is often those weeks following a gain that you have the most to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment