Friday, November 5, 2010

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

For years, the big bad wolf has been huffing and puffing but couldn't blow the house in. The warning signs have been there and up until this year, I really just ignored them. I've walked around for years with at least four risk factors for Type II diabetes.  My father is a Type II diabetic. I had insulin dependent gestational diabetes with all three of my pregnancies; with the last two it started in the first trimester. Obviously, carrying the weight I've carried over the years has increased my risk of diabetes.

Last week I went to the doctor for my yearly physical. I walked in confident and excited to share my weight loss since the last time I was seen. We went through the typical blood work, blood pressure checking, etc. I walked out feeling great.  I couldn't wait to get my lab results to see if my HDL (good cholesterol) had increased. I've never had an issue with my LDL (bad cholesterol) however, my HDL was low six months ago.  The doctor wanted to give me medication for that, but I decided I'd prefer to try to "fix" it with diet and exercise rather than medication.  Honestly, during the visit the diabetes fear never even hit me as I had made changes in my lifestyle, surely I had dodged the bullet? Right?

A week later I received the phone call.  The good news is my HDL increased!  I'm out of the "low" range and into the "normal" range - done only through diet and exercise over the last six months.  Yes! The bad news is my fasting glucose was high and I would have to go in for a glucose tolerance test.  I did that earlier this week and now I'm just waiting for the results.


Rather than waiting for the test results I opted to get my glucose meter out, buy some test strips and start taking my blood sugar, just for a little self education about what's going on. What I've discovered is interesting. My fasting glucose is above normal, indicating that I probably am diabetic; however, the current diet I'm eating throughout the day is maintaining my blood sugar in normal ranges!

I'm fairly certain I will get the phone call next week with a diagnosis of diabetes. I think that is inevitable when my fasting blood sugars have been above normal. However, this is totally manageable and will only assist me in continuing to live my new healthy lifestyle.

If I get the diagnosis, I plan to meet with a Registered Dietitian to go through my meal plans. If possible, I'd like to control the disease through diet and exercise, if not possible, then medication will be necessary. I'm not opposed to the medication but it would be great to keep moving forward without it.

This could honestly be a blessing in disguise. It only strengthens the commitment I've already made to eat healthy, exercise and continue this lifestyle change. While it is disheartening that I'm getting the diagnosis after I have already made these changes, I can only imagine the damage that would have been done over the last six months if I hadn't adopted these changes in my life.

Weight loss isn't just about fitting in to those jeans that are a few sizes smaller, although that is a great bonus. For me, this weight loss is a life-saving, life-changing event. Without it, I am taking years off my life. Without it, I am diminishing the quality of life I will have in years to come. Diabetes is not a disease to mess around with and just having it increases things like blood pressure, heart attack and stroke. Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to severe health consequences, including limb amputations and premature death.

I'm gaining so much, while I lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment