Thursday, November 11, 2010

That is how many points? Really???

Isn't it funny how we can go on for a long time, doing the same thing, making it routine and then in a split second we can make one choice that is completely out of the blue?

Yep, that was my morning. As I was packing my lunch, I noticed that I was out of bagel thins.  I normally always have a bagel thin, cream cheese and a piece of fruit for breakfast - it's 3 points and a great way for me to start my day. Well, no bagel thins, it's grocery store week. So I decide that I have weekly points, it would be ok to run through a drive-thru for breakfast.  I haven't done that for months.

So on the way to work I go through Burger King. I hadn't had time to prepare by looking up point values but I assumed the breakfast would be about 15 points and I would just put it in my tracker when I went to work. So, I grabbed breakfast and ate it on the way in.  As soon as I got to work entered my breakfast into the tracker.  OMG! It wasn't 15 points.  It wasn't 18 points. It was 22 points!!  For breakfast!!!  Holy crap!

Thankfully, I packed pretty light, some extra veggies and an extra fruit.  Tonight, I just changed my dinner to eat very light - a turkey sandwich and some fresh fruit salad.  I'm satisfied and I haven't gone over daily points, so no fear of even dipping into those weeklies, but my goodness, if I had known it was 22 points I would not have had it.  It honestly wasn't worth spending that many points on.  LOL!  Anyway, lesson that I already knew but ignored - don't put it in your mouth until it's been tracked!

What are some foods you were shocked when discovering the caloric value, fat grams or points?

On the bright side, I received my test results back and I do NOT have diabetes!  Yes!

Curious on what a 22 point breakfast looks like?  Try menu selection #1, medium sized, with a Diet Coke.  Just a plain old Sausage, Egg and Cheese croissanwich and medium hash browns.

4 comments:

  1. When I was still over 300 pounds and started tracking my food each day I was shocked by the simple egg yolk. Each yolk is about 58 calories and 5 grams of fat. Two eggs is 150 calories and 10 grams of fat. I started making egg white omelets made with 4 egg whites - less calories than 1 whole egg and no fat. These days I will sometimes have 1 whole egg and three whites if a yolk breaks but most of the time I have only the egg whites and I never miss the yolks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it was the first time I realized that one of my favorite blueberry muffins (from Grand Traverse Pie Company) was 12 points. I was only getting 18 points per day at the time, so that left 6 for the rest of the day. And it wasn't filling or nutritious at all! What a waste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, what I think shocked me the most about this is "before the change" (how I refer to the time prior to this healthy lifestyle) I would often run through a fast food restaurant for breakfast. It happened more often than I like to admit. No wonder I got to 376lbs! Often, the breakfast didn't stop at just a breakfast sandwich and hash browns - sometimes there would be an add on of french toast sticks or ciniminis as well. Nothing like starting the day with more calories than an average person needs in an entire day! Thank goodness for change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My big shocker was the Pecan cinnamon roll from Panera... 22 points!!!

    Yeah checked it AFTER I ate it!

    ReplyDelete