Sunday, May 30, 2010

Exercise Is VITAL

I've had a bit more time this go around to focus on what actions have got me to this point and what actions are necessary to make this weight loss change. I am much more knowledgeable this time than any other time I "dieted" in my life. I don't really like to use the word "diet" as a verb, as it implies it is a temporary action and this lifestyle change CANNOT be temporary.

Several years ago I bought the Nordic track Viewpoint 3200 treadmill. I have to say, after a few years of being mostly a catch all - my treadmill has become my best therapy. I love the thing! It is jammed packed with monitors, options to tailor a workout - and it also has a fan and cable TV - both which make a workout much more comfortable!

Since starting Weight Watchers, I haven't missed a single day of working out on my treadmill. Each day, I've increased the intensity. For example, today was my most intense workout yet, with walking 3mph with my incline set to 3 for 30 minutes. Yeah, it was a day of 3's. I burned 230 calories. I plan to always use my treadmill to get in a half an hour walk each day - it's just healthy, convenient exercise.

But, I also realize that I need to work other parts of my body. Last night, I spent 30 minutes doing different types of exercises from On Demand Fit TV on my cable box. I had to jump between several different types of cardio but all gave me, what I felt and what was reflected on my heart rate monitor, as an moderate to intense workout. So, I decided to add a few things to my weekly exercises.

I ordered Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies DVD box set (7 discs). While it seems silly, I think the movements will be a good starting point for me. I've never been one that is good at mimicking movement. I need practice that requires simple movement and then, move up from there. Speaking of moving up, I also purchased a Jillian Michael's workout box set that includes 30 Day Shred and Yoga Meltdown, along with two other titles. The nice thing about Jillian's DVD's is she has multiple levels of workouts. While Level 1 will surely be a challenge for me, at least I'll be moving my body and working up to getting better at the individual programs.

I really believe spending 30 minutes on the treadmill and spending 30 minutes with a DVD will greatly improve my weight loss. It's A LOT more activity than I've ever had in my life. I'm slowly getting some of the equipment used on the DVD's - eBay is a great place to visit. A stabilizer ball meant for my weight is half the price on eBay compared to the sporting good stores - same with the exercise mat.

I'm really excited about all this activity! I feel so great after I've finished and I know I'll just keep feeling better. It truly is an almost addictive feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment